Calumet

Calumet

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

This post was written by Sue Chin to her congregation to share her experience at the 2013 Fall Retreat at Camp Calumet.  The presenter was her pastor, Pr. Doug Ryniewicz.


Dear Friends:

   I am writing to tell you about my experience this past weekend at my first retreat with the School of Lay Ministry. I only recently found out about this program, run by the New England Synod. I was not all that clear on what it was or why I was interested, but I felt compelled to go nonetheless and I answered the call.

   Describing this weekend is a little like trying to describe a flavor; in many ways you can only understand if you experience it yourself. There were approximately 50 people there; some like me, in their first year, others in their second. All were there because they felt and feel called to service by God, though not necessarily as clergy. We came from all walks of life to learn more about God and discern His will for our varied lives. Just being in the presence of these open-hearted, God-loving people was uplifting. They quickly felt like family, and we had myriad discussions on issues great and small, all spoken with honesty and great love.

  As if that were not enough, we had Pastor Doug as our leader for Saturday's workshop. If any of you are still questioning his call, let me tell you that we are now the envy of our synod! Several students asked me how I came to be so fortunate as to be in his congregation. Thanks be to God for bringing him here! He gave a presentation on the Zen of Lutheran Theology that was just amazing. He gave us all so much to think about. His depth of knowledge, open heart, and stamina fed us deeply and left us wanting more, even after he had been speaking for over 5 hours! This man is truly a treasure. Please help me take good care of him.

  On Sunday we participated in the most amazing and moving worship experience that I have ever been privileged to attend. The Spirit was so strong and powerful among that gathering of believers! We found ourselves hugging each other during the exchange of peace because a handshake just would not do. All of our faces were lit up with pure joy, peace, and contentment. I wish I could better describe what it felt like in that room, but it will have to suffice to say that it was a very holy time and my heart was bursting.

  I am now part of a study group that will be meeting every other Sunday until spring. I cannot wait to meet with these new friends again, and I am sure some of these friendships will be lifelong. During the weekend I managed to meet almost all of the students. They were all such beautiful, special people; I have great affinity for all of them.

  I mentioned my experience on Facebook, and an old friend asked me what took me so long to do this. The truth is I never knew about it. I want you to know about it.  This is one of the greatest things God has ever led me to. I still do not know why I have been led here, but I trust now more than ever that God is leading me, and so I follow. If He calls you, too, say "yes" - you will not regret it.

  I will try to update you as I progress through the next two years of this program. Please do not hesitate to ask me about it. I would love to share this experience with you!

 Yours in Christ,

 Susan Chin

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree!! Pr. Doug is amazing and l you are so fortunate to have him as your pastor. I am a 2013 grad of SLM and I have to say it was the most
    informative, interesting, gratifying,spiritual, fun, and wonderful thing I have ever done! Enjoy your first year... wait, enjoy it all!

    ReplyDelete